Sunday 1 February 2015

A new Challenge ! - Building a Volcano part 1

Once a year the good folks on the Lead Adventure Forum hold a competition called 'Build Something', now over the last couple of years since I have been frequenting this excellent site I have marvelled at the talent being showcased. So this year I decided to try and pit myself against the best of them.

God only knows how I will fare but its worth a shout to see what can be achieved.

If you want to read more head here...

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?board=48.0

The rules are quite simple you have to build a terrain piece (no smaller than 5cm square) that is connected to the competitions theme.

The competition kicks off today 1st February and must be completed five weeks later. During the competition we must post up progress on the LAF site - link below.

If I have understood things correctly the projects are then paired up and voted on by the community. The winner of each pairing then goes through to the next round.

So what's the theme and what am I going to build....

The theme is Fire & Ice, or one of the above.

I have decided to build a Volcano !!

Why...well for a start it going to be big and I do like big projects, secondly I'll design it in such a way that it will work with the rocky escarpments already built, and thirdly its just the thing for my forthcoming pulp adventures.

Over the next few weeks I'll be posting the progress shots here and on the LAF.

However this morning I will share the materials I have purchased for this project...

First up the base board - 50cm x 50cm of 9mm MDF (as per all my terrain builds)


Three tubes of glue...i'll need these!



A big pack of jablite (polystyrene) - 2.5cm thick - 8 sheets for £12. Would have preferred pink foam but can't find any.




Cork Bark - Two 60cm tubes (about 20cm in diameter)



Now everybody says cork bark is expensive...I would challenge this assertion and look again. These two tubes which will be more than enough for my project cost £9.00 each. They were bought from the local garden centre in their pet store.



Over the next few weeks I'll be furiously building this beast...

part 2 is here..

http://shedwars.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/building-volcano-part-2.html

3 comments:

  1. I will be watching the magic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can already see dinosaurs roaming around it! I played a game called prehistoric settlement once and that required a volcano in the middle of the board!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make some super-cool projects!! Wish I could join in a few games at the Shed - looks like they are a lot of fun! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete